The optimal rim
for Schwalbe tubeless racing bike tires
For safety and performance, the tire and rim on the bicycle must be optimally matched. This applies all the more to tubeless tires. In addition to the classic hooked rims (crotched type), so-called "hookless" rims (straight side) are becoming increasingly popular in current models. Hookless" rims in particular place high demands on tubeless tires for safe operation. The Schwalbe TLR/TLE models (from model year 2020) are designed to meet these special requirements, especially in the bead core area, and are therefore fundamentally compatible.
Due to the design, the tire volume increases compared to the conventional hook rim because of the larger inner rim width. Therefore, the air pressure is lower than with normal rims. To ensure safety and optimum performance, the air pressure must be set lower than with the conventional set-up with hook rim. Regardless of the rim contour (hookless or hooked rim), Schwalbe recommends only using rims/wheels that are explicitly approved for tubeless use.
Straight Side (hookless)
Crotched Type (hooked rim)
SPECIAL NOTES ON HOOKLESS RIMS AND USE WITH SCHWALBE TUBELESS TIRES
- Hookless rims, also called "Straight Side", are characterised by the absence of the small hook at the end of the rim flank.
- The official designation for tubeless hookless rims according to ETRTO is "TSS".
- The rim used must comply with the ETRTO standard for hookless rims (Straight Side).
- The specified maximum pressure of the tire and rim must be adhered to. If the specified maximum pressure of the rim is lower than that of the tire, the maximum pressure of the rim must be complied with. This is the rule for tubeless hookless rims (TSS).
- Hookless or Straight Side rims may only be combined with TLE/TLR tires (Tubeless Easy/Tubeless Ready). The compatible (tubeless) and tire widths specified by the wheel/rim manufacturer must be taken into account. In particular the minimum tire widths. This restriction applies regardless of the intended use (MTB, gravel/cross, city/tour, road bike).
- Maximum air pressure recommendations for Schwalbe TLE /TLR tires on straight side / hookless rims are as follows:
tire width in mm
Maximum air pressure in bar
SPECIAL FEATURES OF HOOKLESS
- Lower weight compared to conventional "hooked" rims.
- Hookless rims produce a rounder tire contour, which has a positive effect on riding characteristics.
- Due to the comparatively high volume of tires on hookless rims, the practical air pressures are significantly lower. This increases comfort and grip.